Dr. Magali Fontaine from the University of Maryland joins Dr. Chaffin to discuss several challenging choices that transfusion services must make in inventory management.
Life in transfusion services can be challenging, especially when dealing with issues that challenge “the way we have always done things!” Dr. Fontaine and her former colleagues at Stanford have published extensively about some of these issues, and she shares some practical (and theoretical) strategies. We discuss things like CMV transmission and how to prevent it, choosing platelets for HLA alloimmunized patients, ABO issues in platelet transfusions, and (briefly) the “age-old” discussion about transfusing “older” red cells.
Use the player above to listen to Episode 004 of the BBGuy Essentials Podcast!
- Fontaine MJ et al. Impact of cytomegalovirus (CMV) antibody reflex testing in the transfusion service on management of CMV-seronegative blood inventory, Transfusion 2010;50:1685-1689.
- Fontaine MJ et al. Complement (C1q) fixing solid-phase screening for HLA antibodies increases the availability of compatible platelet components for refractory patients, Transfusion 2011;51:2611-2618.
- Fontaine MJ et al. How we treat: risk mitigation for ABO-incompatible plasma in plateletpheresis products, Transfusion 2012;52:2081-2085.
- Fontaine MJ et al. How do I implement an automated screen for high-titer ABO antibody as an inventory management tool for ABO plasma–incompatible platelets?, Transfusion 2015;55;2783–2789
- Atkinson MP et al. A novel allocation strategy for blood transfusions: investigating the tradeoff between the age and availability of transfused blood, Transfusion 2012;52:108-117.
- Fontaine MJ et al. Age of blood as a limitation for transfusion: potential impact on blood inventory and availability, Transfusion 2010;50:2233-2239.
- Steiner ME et al. Effects of Red-Cell Storage Duration on Patients Undergoing Cardiac Surgery (RECESS). N Engl J Med 2015;372:1419-29.
- Lacroix J et al. Age of Transfused Blood in Critically Ill Adults (ABLE). N Engl J Med 2015; 372:1410-1418.