Magali Fontaine from the University of Maryland joins me to discuss practical solutions to everyday challenges in the transfusion service.
About My Guest:
Dr. Magali Fontaine is the Director of Transfusion Services and the Cellular Therapy Processing Laboratory at the University of Maryland Medical Center in Baltimore. She’s also an Associate Professor of Pathology and Medicine at the University of Maryland. Magali has an extensive background in general surgery and research. She’s done lots of work on mesenchymal stem cells and pancreatic islet cells. She’s served in numerous leadership capacities with AABB, including as the chair at the AABB Standards Committee for Cellular Therapy. She has published more than 50 peer-reviewed articles and more than 50 abstracts. She was honored for excellence in teaching in 2011 while at Stanford.
- Fontaine MJ et al. Impact of cytomegalovirus (CMV) antibody reflex testing in the transfusion service on management of CMV-seronegative blood inventory, Transfusion 2010;50:1685-1689.
- Fontaine MJ et al. Complement (C1q) fixing solid-phase screening for HLA antibodies increases the availability of compatible platelet components for refractory patients, Transfusion 2011;51:2611-2618.
- Fontaine MJ et al. How we treat: risk mitigation for ABO-incompatible plasma in plateletpheresis products, Transfusion 2012;52:2081-2085.
- Fontaine MJ et al. How do I implement an automated screen for high-titer ABO antibody as an inventory management tool for ABO plasma–incompatible platelets?, Transfusion 2015;55;2783–2789
- Atkinson MP et al. A novel allocation strategy for blood transfusions: investigating the tradeoff between the age and availability of transfused blood, Transfusion 2012;52:108-117.
- Fontaine MJ et al. Age of blood as a limitation for transfusion: potential impact on blood inventory and availability, Transfusion 2010;50:2233-2239.
- Steiner ME et al. Effects of Red-Cell Storage Duration on Patients Undergoing Cardiac Surgery (RECESS). N Engl J Med 2015;372:1419-29.
- Lacroix J et al. Age of Transfused Blood in Critically Ill Adults (ABLE). N Engl J Med 2015; 372:1410-1418.